Friday, October 12, 2012

A Life Less Organized

I mention my adventures in cleaning almost every single day.  My friends (and some family) must think that my house is show-ready every single day.  They couldn't be further from the truth!  I am often overwhelmed by laundry (there is just as much clean laundry piled up as dirty), one load of dishes in the dishwasher doesn't mean that my sink is empty let alone scrubbed clean, and cleaning the livingroom consists of moving things from one place to another and hoping that I've actually put those things in what should be their permanent home.

The ugly truth is that my house will never be spic 'n span, spotless, white-glove ready or any of those cutesy terms.  We live here, and we live HARD.  Of course, we're also still cleaning up from the previous tenant's lives (remind me to tell you all about my adventures in grungy kitchen cabinets), so it feels like we take two steps forward only to trip and fall a step back.

The worst part of all this is that I am a crappy organizer.  I can organize a bedroom closet or linen closet but organizing all of the small things is beyond my capabilities.  I have a major junk drawer and no plans to clean or organize it until/unless I absolutely have to.  I have a 9-cube storage center and it's full of board games, shoe-size bins of beads and jewelry thingies and miscellaneous office/craft supplies.  I want to get this under control but, honestly, I'm just happy that it's all in bins and in one place.  I can organize when I have time, which feels like it'll be never.

No comments:

Post a Comment